Financial Aid FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or a Renewal FAFSA and submit it to the federal processor as soon as possible AFTER January 1st. Be sure to submit your FAFSA/Renewal FAFSA to the federal processor in time for them to process it (about four weeks) and transmit the results to us before your expected term of enrollment. You may prefer to apply online by using FAFSA on the Web at We strongly encourage this method of applying since it is faster and generally more accurate because the online version has built-in edits. Apply for financial aid at the same time, or even before, you apply for admissions.

**Please make sure that you wait until the IRS accepts your tax return (and those of your parents, for Dependent students) prior to completing the FAFSA and that you use the IRS Transfer Tool to populate the tax information on your FAFSA. If you do not use the transfer tool, you will be selected for Verification and will have to acquire tax transcripts from the IRS. We will not be able to accept a copy of your tax return.

STC's Federal Title IV School Code is 030665. This number must be used when completing the FAFSA in order for STC to receive your financial aid application.

Yes. Each year you must file either the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), or the Renewal FAFSA if you receive one from the federal processor, for the appropriate academic year and submit the documents that are requested. You must also maintain satisfactory academic progress in order to qualify for aid each year.

The Office of Financial Aid cannot determine the amount of your awards until the results of your FAFSA has been received from the federal processor. Your eligibility is determined by the federal processor from information you and your family supply on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The federal processor determines your "Expected Family Contribution" (EFC) according to a formula supplied by the U.S. Congress and then forwards this information to the Office of Financial Aid. Only then can the Office of Financial Aid begin to determine the amounts of your awards.

Each year, the Federal Processor selects at least 30 percent of the financial aid applicants to a particular school for a process called verification. The school must verify the information that the student provided on his or her FAFSA. These documents are required to verify that information.

The Office of Financial Aid uses the college's assigned student email address to communicate with each student. Any requests for documentation or award notifications will be sent to this email account. The email will instruct the student to log in to the secure BannerWeb portal where students can review their application status and award notice for the current aid year.

It is possible, but veterans' benefits can greatly impact the amount of financial aid a student can receive.

A student must either complete a FAFSA application or GSFAPPS Application online in order to determine eligibility for HOPE. If only the GSFAPPS Application is completed, eligibility for Title IV aid will not be determined.

There is not a minimum or maximum number of enrollment hours for a student to receive HOPE. A student will be paid HOPE according to the number of enrollment hours (capped at 15 hours).

Twelve credit hours or more is required to be considered full-time status.

Satisfactory Academic Progress is a set of federal, state, and institutional guidelines for students receiving financial assistance. If a student fails to maintain satisfactory academic progress, he/she will be placed on probation or suspension status.

Students who feel they have extenuating circumstances that have contributed to their failure to maintain satisfactory academic progress may appeal the status according to the guidelines established by the Office of Financial Aid. This policy can be found in the STC Student Handbook and Catalog.

Students who withdraw from school while on financial aid may have their awards reduced. Depending upon when you withdraw from school, your awards can be reduced and you may be required to repay a specified percentage of any aid you have received in the term in which you are withdrawing. Check with the Office of Financial Aid before withdrawing from school to see if withdrawing could have an effect on your awards.

Students transferring to another institution will have to make a correction to their current year FAFSA by adding the institution’s Federal School Code. Students must also contact the institution and complete any necessary forms to determined eligibility.

A student wishing to take a transient class at another TCSG technical college may be eligible to receive HOPE at the HOST school if the student is eligible for HOPE at STC. PELL and loans cannot be paid at your HOST school while you are in transient status. PELL must be paid at the HOME school only. If the student is eligible for Title IV aid, STC will notify the HOST school in order that they may send an enrollment verification form after 60 percent of the term. This allows STC to award the students' federal aid at that time during the term. Students will be required to pay for any fees or book costs that HOPE does not cover while a transient student.

Yes. Students often think they do not qualify for aid and prevent themselves from receiving the financial assistance that is available. The Office of Financial Aid offers a variety of financial aid programs with different eligibility requirements. Students applying for Federal Direct Student Loans must complete the FAFSA for eligibility to be determined.

Yes. Students often think they do not qualify for aid and prevent themselves from receiving the financial assistance that is available. The Office of Financial Aid offers a variety of financial aid programs with different eligibility requirements. Students applying for Private Loans must complete the FAFSA for eligibility to be determined.

Your award notice does list awards for the entire award year. However, if you withdraw from school or do not attend class during a particular term, you cannot receive those estimated awards. Classes that are not eligible for financial aid are those you do not attend, do not make, or do not start.

A student must be legal resident of Georgia 12 consecutive months prior to the first day of the term they are planning to enroll in classes to be considered eligible for the HOPE Grant/Scholarship. Students who did not graduate from a Georgia high school must be legal residents of Georgia for 24 consecutive months prior to the first day of the quarter to be eligible for HOPE Scholarship.

In limited circumstances marital status may be updated. Typically, the student's marital status is effective for the award year as of the date the application is submitted. Consult the Financial Aid office to determine if an update can be completed.

It will depend on the program of study, the enrollment hours, and the type and amount of financial aid that you qualify for. The type of financial aid will determine if you have sufficient aid to pay the full cost of tuition, fees, and books.

You must report any W-2 income earned from working (or non-W-2 income) from whatever the source as well as support documents from Social Service agencies and other people such as friends and relatives. Contact the Financial Aid office for additional forms that must be completed to certify how you were supported for the past year.

Financial aid is awarded assuming full-time status. If you do not register as a full-time student, your financial aid will be adjusted to your actual enrollment hours. Financial aid will be paid for classes that are in your program of study. You must submit all documents requested by the Financial Aid office. You must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) according to the college SAP policy.

  • If you drop before the first day of classes, all financial aid will be cancelled.
  • If you drop a class within the first three days of the term, all of your financial aid will be reduced.
  • If you withdraw from ALL classes after the 3rd day, your financial aid will be recalculated (refigured) based on the actual number of days attended. You may owe money if your new award is less than the amount of any institutional charges. If you have received a refund check, you may also owe back the refund amount.

IMPORTANT: You are encouraged to contact the Financial Aid office before you drop or withdraw from your classes so you can be advised on how the drop/withdrawal will affect your financial aid standing.

You do not have to repay a grant unless there is an unforeseen change in your enrollment status after you have received your money or if you withdraw from all or some classes and your institutional charges exceed your new aid amount. If you are overpaid a PELL, you will have to repay the amount overpaid. If you receive the PELL Grant and you withdraw (officially or unofficially), your aid will be recalculated (refigured) and you may owe money if your bookstore charges or other institutional charges are more than the new PELL amount. You can read more information in the section Refunds & Disbursements for the return of Title IV policy. You may also owe money back if you have a federal or state overpayment at another school that is not known at the time you were awarded financial aid. You may owe money back if you go into DEFAULT on a federal student loan received at another school.

You must meet certain conditions established by the U.S. Department of Education for independent status to be exempt from using your parent’s income. Contact the Financial Aid office to determine if you are independent or dependent.

Yes. You can receive the HOPE Grant for 63 semester paid hours for technical certificate or diploma programs and 127 semester hours for degree program (which could be less if you received the HOPE Grant for a technical certificate or diploma program). The HOPE grant/scholarship hours are cumulative of all technical colleges you have attended.

You will be checked for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). All courses taken at Southeastern Tech will be considered in the GPA and/or percentage of classes completed in computing your eligibility for continuing on financial aid. If your SAP status results in financial aid suspension, you will have to pay out of pocket until you have met the required standards. You have the right to appeal your financial aid suspension. Only extraordinary or extenuating circumstances that can be properly documented will be accepted. Failure to "show up" for classes will not be accepted as extraordinary or extenuating circumstances.


Hours of Operation
Monday-Thursday: 8:00 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
Friday: Closed
Hours vary during holidays and breaks


Vidalia Campus
(912) 538-3100
3001 E. First Street, Vidalia, GA 30474
FAX: (912) 538-3156

Rebecca H. Ethredge
Director of Financial Aid
(912) 538-3107



Swainsboro Campus
(478) 289-2200
346 Kite Road, Swainsboro, GA 30401
Fax: (478) 289-2263

Rosemerry Wilson
Financial Aid Technician
(478) 289-2268